How to Strengthen Your Immune System
Healthy Aging | 08/14/20
From the common cold to the current COVID-19 pandemic, it’s an unfortunate reality that illness is a part of our lives. But thankfully, there are a few ways for you to naturally enhance your immune system and help your body be better equipped to fight off illness.
Our immune systems play a vital role in our wellbeing. Organs, cells and proteins in our bodies work together to attack against invaders such as bacteria, fungi and viruses. By boosting our immune system, our bodies are better able to defend our health.
But how exactly do you make your immune system stronger? Although there are plenty of supplements and products that claim to boost your immune system, it’s a little more complex than taking a pill. Here are five ways you are naturally able to help boost your immune system as part of your daily routine.
5 Ways to Boost Your Immune System
- Stay properly hydrated. Water plays a multitude of roles in your body, one of which is being supportive to your immune system. There is a fluid in your circulatory system called lymph which carries infection-fighting immune cells around your body and is largely made up of water.
- Maintain a balanced diet. As with most functions of your body, a healthy diet is key to staying well and boosting your immune system. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to say no to the occasional ice cream treat. But it is important that the majority of your diet focuses on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy.
- Get restful sleep. Did you know that infection-fighting molecules are being created when you sleep? Adults should aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night for optimal wellness.
- Make exercise a part of your routine. Physical activity doesn’t just contribute to weight loss or gaining muscle – it also helps boost your immune system One way physical activity helps your immune system is by improving circulation in your body, making it easier for immune cells and infection-fighting molecules to travel throughout your body.
- Minimize stress. Stress largely affects our health. When you’re stressed, your body responds by creating a stress response. This stress response suppresses your immune system and increases your chance of illness. Try different stress relief methods to help you through tough times, such as guided meditation or yoga.
Learn How to Make Your Immune System Stronger and Other Healthy Lifestyle Tips at Crestwood Manor
At Crestwood Manor, we want you to live the healthiest lifestyle you possibly can. That’s why we offer LivWell. LivWell is a holistic wellness program that is designed for personal choice. The team at Crestwood helps guide residents to programs that help them to achieve their own wellness goals, whether it’s to improve their diet or to dance at their granddaughter’s wedding. There are a host of onsite activities and amenities that give every person the opportunity to enhance their journey to wellness.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Contact our team to learn more about the LivWell program offered in our community or schedule an in-person or virtual tour today.