Active Aging Week
Welcome to Active Aging Week! Since 2003, the International Council on Active Aging (ICAA) has celebrated aging and active living each year during the last full week of September to showcase the positivity of aging in the world today. Back for its 16th year, events are being held across the country to encourage fun, friendship, and positive perceptions of aging.
During this week, Crestwood Manor is going to be actively challenging the stigmas and expectations around aging. As we very well know, adults over the age of 50 can live full fantastic lives physically, socially, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, vocationally, and environmentally. And it is those seven dimensions of wellness that this week is going to especially target. The goal of Active Aging Week, according to Colin Milner, ICAA Founder and CEO, is to encourage people to participate as fully in life as possible at any age, regardless of health conditions.
Inspiring Wellness during Active Aging Week and Beyond
Residents of Crestwood Manor enjoy access year-round to our comprehensive, award-winning LivWell program, which includes a wide array of events and activities designed to improve wellness in all seven dimensions. During Active Aging Week in particular, LivWell will specifically be touching on the seven dimensions of wellness while creating an inclusive space where everyone can participate in daily activities. This goes beyond the traditional fitness classes and activities, and residents will work directly with our staff to develop stimulating programming that meets their specific needs. You can expect the seven dimensions to impact you:
- Leading a healthy lifestyle by eating nutritious foods and getting your blood pumping regularly helps keep you mobile and alleviate chronic pain. This might be a fitness class or a walk around the Crestwood campus.
- Through these events, residents will get the chance to come together and make new friends organically. It’s important to have a support system in place and continue to meet new people as you age.
- We will encourage and meet your spiritual needs, no matter your beliefs, to help you connect to your faith and inner values. We offer an on-site community chaplain and activities like guided meditation sessions.
- Boost your mood with activities you enjoy most, while also staying connected to others. You’ll enjoy time with others that will have you digging deep and considering your emotional state.
- We believe learning should never stop, so we will introduce you to new ideas, culture, and so much more. Play brain games to keep your mind healthy while also reducing the risk for cognitive decline.
- What you’ve learned throughout your career can be interesting and beneficial to others! Some of our events might tap into your past career, asking you to give a lecture or presentation about your skills.
- We’ll also offer events that positively impact both your wellness and our world, like recycling, gardening and more.
Lifelong Wellness is Key to Healthy Aging
Our activities team at Crestwood hosts a wide array of creative wellness events throughout the entire year. In preparation for Active Aging Week, they developed great projects to showcase the benefits of healthy aging. For instance, back in August, we held a campaign called Wellness Around the World. Each day we “traveled” to a different country where people live the happiest, longest lives to explore their culture.
One day, residents learned the art of Suminagashi painting and finished a Wabi-Sabi art project. They also learned tradition of kintsugi, repairing broken dishes with gold-dusted lacquer. Then we traveled to a local Japanese restaurant for an authentic meal. Another day, residents were transported to Costa Rica, where they enjoyed dancing to upbeat Latin music. Then they tried designing their own Pura Vida rock art.
Enjoy Your Future to the Fullest at Crestwood Manor
We are so excited to kick-off Active Aging Week with you! An official schedule of events will be released soon. If you have questions about any of the events or the Active Aging Week campaign, reach out to our skilled staff members.
Discover a vibrant lifestyle at Crestwood Manor and the enriching activities we offer residents all year long. To learn more about our continuing care retirement community in Whiting, New Jersey, we invite you to contact us for more information or to schedule a tour.